Hiking Carter Caves State Park, Kentucky

A small opening in the natural bridge

Carter Caves State Park is located in northeastern Kentucky, not far from Portsmouth, OH. The park features multiple caves that I hoped were on the hiking trails, and since I didn't find immediate information since I came in the back way, I was disappointed as I hiked the 10 mile Kiser Hollow Trail.

I wish I had done a little more research on the place, as I hiked it pulling off the road while a cold Kentucky rain was falling. The park sounds spectacular; although I could have done without some of the run down amenities like the playgrounds and other eye sores that pollute the outdoors in many of the state parks in Kentucky. It turns out the area has over 20 caverns including one cave with a 30 foot underground waterfall.

Kiser Hollow Trail presented some challenging terrain in a mixture of nicely maintained trails combined with some rocky paths that are hard on the ankles. Along the way, you may fear you just entered the sequence to Deliverance as you the trail parallels some private property with a couple of livable shacks on the premises.

I was disappointed to see the amount of trash in the vicinity of the trail. Along the small creek on the back side of the trail was littered with various items taking away from its beauty. For the most part, there just isn't enough to see to keep your interest for ten miles of hiking. The trail would work better if there were other trails that allowed you cut the hike short rather than trudge on, especially if you aren't aware the major caves aren't along the trail; although there were evidence of caves thanks to sinkholes.

I exited the park on the other side, which is where its glory is as the caves and a natural bridge grace its landscape. Some of the caves require permits to enter, and since it was later, i didn't stop to discover details and cost of the permits. I did pull off in what I thought was a huge cave to explore--Maglite in hand--only to discover it was a natural bridge. Not as wide as the famous Kentucky natural bridge I visited last weekend, but much deeper to give it a cavernous look.

Overall, I think I would have been more satisfied if I had taken the time to explore the caves rather than hike looking for caves. It does pay to research where you are going.







Something out of Deliverance