Fila Skeletoes: A Review Hiking in Minimal Shoes

Fila Skeletoes are the lastest in the newest generation of footwear called minimalist shoes. The idea is to give you a barefooted feeling while protecting your feet from elements. I had my doubts, but as I when I first saw "Five Toes" developed Vibram, I was curious. Just not curious enough to pay $100 for the weirdest looking shoe out there. Fortunate, Fila came out with a more economical version, which only has four toes. I don't know if this is to escape patent infringement or if their goal was to make it easier for the two smallest toes to fit in the shoes. I believe that latter is a good possibility considering the first time you put these things on, you don't feel like they are on correctly.

After the first few times, you feet start getting used to them. I have gotten to where I actually love them no matter how weird they look. Now granted you don't have ankle support like you get from a normal hiking boot, but where the boot fails your foot, Skeletoes steps up and passes the test.

Downhill hiking is the hardest on your feet. Your feet want to slide forward in the boot which puts pressure on your toes. Many a hiker will tell you they have lost a toe nail from the pressure placed on the toes. Skeletoes hugs the feet so you don't worry about the friction you feel.

Another worry I had is I don't like soft soled hiking boots. I bought a pair of Bass Pro Red Head hiking boots earlier this year, and the soles, which I should have inspected more closely, were too flimsy and you felt every sharp rock you stepped on. Not a good feeling over many miles of rocky trails. I was afraid the Skeletoes would feel the same. They did not. The sole is flexible enough to give you a more natural feeling; however, they are stiff enough to protect your feet from feeling everything. In fact, I felt very little.

So first time out, I am impressed. In fact considering the normal break in period of hiking footwear, Fila Skeletoes were the most comfortable hiking shoe I have worn yet. Fila markets these things as all terrain shoes. I purchased mine at Dunham's Sports for $37, which was after an online 25% off coupon. They normally sell for $49.99. I don't know if I would use them for every hike, but I am curious to climb a mountain in them and see how my feet feel after 12 or 14 miles.