Medical Doctors Are Avoiding Airport Naked Body Scanners Due to High Radiation Levels

The radiation controversy surrounding airport naked body scanners continues to build. CNN's Elizabeth Cohen conducted a small-scale investigation to get some medical advice from doctors. The doctors concerns are not just about the radiation levels emitted by the naked body scanners, but by the repeated procedure some travelers are subjected to.

“I do whatever I can to avoid the scanner. This is a total body scan — not a dental or chest X-ray,” said Dr. Len Lichtenfield to Cohen in an email. “Total body radiation is not something I find very comforting based on my medical knowledge.”

Another doctor explained that there is “no absolutely safe dose of radiation,” and that “each exposure is additive.” So even if the supposedly low radiation doses emitted from the naked body scanners are as low as TSA and the machines’ manufacturers claim they are, habitual exposure will still cause bodily harm.


Here's an observation I have. Having served in the Army and trained to save, I was taught how to take X-rays at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The federal government through the US Army was vigilant in ensuring soldiers who took x-rays weren't overexposed with radiation. It was the only time in my professional career both working in a clinic and as a sales rep in digital x-ray that I wore a film badge, which measures exposure. The federal government doesn't seem nearly as concerned these days when it comes to exposure from naked body scanners.