Rainmakers Lead Singer Bob Walkenhorst Visits BBCW to Provide Insight to Government Cheese

About a year and a half ago, I treaded through a list of the top 100 conservative songs. I quickly dismissed it when the anti-American Bruce Springsteen penned Born in the USA appeared on the list. I suggested they reconsider Bruce for a song by the Rainmakers called Government Cheese, which libertarian and talk radio show host with Kansas City roots Erich "Mancow" Mueller often plays on his show when he does a story on the corrupt welfare state.

As it turns out, that article has finally picked up some steam, and Rainmakers frontman Bob Walkenhorst visited BBCW the other day, obviously not wanting his music to be tied to conservatism, like so many other artists. Remember Chrissy Hind had a fit when Rush Limbaugh turned popular and used "My City Was Gone" as his theme. He left the following about comments about the song Government Cheese and other Rainmaker music, which he says looks at "knee-jerk conservatism":

Hello Bungalow Bill, One of the great things about music is that it is open to interpretation. As the writer of Government Cheese, I've seen the song cited as expressing the views of both the far left and the far right. I think every citizen has had moments of feeling frustrated with the weaknesses of the system, and the weaknesses of human beings. Gov't Cheese certainly expresses that frustration. So thanks for bringing it to people's attention. I hope some listeners will follow the trail and hear some of the other Rainmakers songs that address the pointlessness of knee-jerk conservatism, and mindless retreat into religiously-defended narrowmindedness. And, as many a good rock n'roll song has decreed, we really are all in this together, and we have a responsibility to our fellow humans. While love may not be all we need, it certainly is the attitude that needs to be our motivation. I think Jesus said that.

I like Obama, I have mixed feelings about his effectiveness, but I have clear memories of the Reagan/Bush/Bush years, and I know what their years caused. And W is reminding us of that in his memoirs. Thanks W.

Long live freedom of speech. You guys have fun. Spread the love.

Bob Walkenhorst



Anyway, I think it's cool this blog attracted his attention, and I will continue to promote the Rainmakers music as it is some very good music with some unique and fun vocals. As the blog title suggests, I love music as well so it's not uncommon to enjoy and look at the stories behind the music on this blog. Thanks for visiting Bob! If you are interested in a gig in Springfield sometime, let me know. I can probably hook you up.

Here are some Rainmakers songs to enjoy: