Hiking in Busiek State Park: Day Four The Eastern Yellow Trail

My week long exploration of Busiek State Park continued today as I hiked the yellow trail on the East side of the park. Before I get too into today's experience, this Eagle Scout wants to thank another Eagle Scout, Samuel Hawkins of Troop 2001, for taking the time to mark the trails as part of his Eagle Scout service project. The trail markings sure to make the hike more enjoyable considering all the arteries within Busiek.

Today's hike meant four river crossings. Luckily the temperatures are still mild and the river water hasn't cooled to unbearable levels. As well, if you look around, it's easy to find shallows where your feet stay most dry, especially with a good pair of Gortex boots. I love mine. However, there is one crossing on the back end of the yellow trail that puts you in deeper water that will submerge your feet, while I won't recommend tresspassing, if you cross the barb wire fence and walk 25 yards are so, there is an easy crossing where you will stay dry. Luckily, today's hike will be the last time I required to cross the river, unless the silver trail has a surprise. Considering the location of the trail, it's possible, but I am not sure yet. I guess I will know later this week providing the weather doesn't turn. You could feel a chill in the air today towards the end, and we have rain, freezing rain, and snow in the forecast for the weekend.

I got 4.7 miles in today. This adds to the seven I did on Monday, the five on Tuesday, and the eight on Wednesday, which means I am just shy of 25 miles this week. I have been using CardioTrainer for Android to mark my trails and progress. I know I don't have to tell you having a GPS in the woods gives you an extra sense of security, and CardioTrainer does a great job of providing details like elevation climbed as well.

Kayleigh went today, and she was a dirty water dog before the day was over. Here are some of the videos I took of her having fun.



Here's my dirty water dog:







Horse owners aren't held to the same responsibilities as dog
owners when it comes to poop on the trails.




Looking off a bluff. You can see the trail from many
miles ago if you look for that triangular brown patch
near the center.




Always has her tongue out flapping along.