Exploring Busiek State Park: Carter Cemetery and the Red Hiking Trail

Day two of the Busiek State Park exploration in Christian County, Missouri. Yesterday, I hiked seven miles of trails, and today I added five more completing the challenging red trail. First off, it's not very nice of the Missouri State Conservation Department to remove the bridges that cross the river on the trail. Fortunately, I found a shallow place and the water wasn't very cold yet. Plus Gortex boots help.

Today's run almost stretched to one of the southern most parts of Busiek accessible by trail. I strayed a little bit off the red trail for another trail, but soon found a dead end and was forced back on the red trail to complete it in its entirety, which meant a final river crossing. It was a little deeper on the second crossing.

The first noticeable landmark is Carter Cemetery, which you get to early on the trail after climbing up the first hill using switchbacks. As I looked around the cemetery, I noticed the sound of what could be large animals. Upon a closer look on the north side, a flock of wild turkeys took of after I spooked them, and incredible site.

Carter Cemetary is over 100 years old. It sits atop one of the old Ozark Mountains in Busiek State Park. The first Carter gravestone you approach is dated 1871-1899.

Here are today's pictures from the Busiek's red trail.